Saturday, January 26, 2013

Our fetus is growing up to be a newborn




This is what our son looked like at 18 weeks. I think he has my nose. Now he’s almost 38 weeks gestational age, and I can only imagine what he looks like now.

But I can feel him.

I didn’t realize before how much fetuses move. First there were the discrete kicks that I had heard about and vaguely remembered from when my mother was pregnant with my younger siblings. But now we can feel him moving around, shifting positions, hiccupping, and responding to us feeling around for him.

The doctor says he’s made his way to the desired head-down position. That’s my boy!

I saw Michael Moore speak once and heard him declare that life begins at birth. Even though I’m pro choice, I thought then and feel more strongly now that that was just about the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever heard.

I’ve known for a long time that hearing is fully functional by the beginning of the 3rd trimester (and the cochlea is at full size by the beginning of the 2nd!). I had imagined that when the time came I’d regularly talk and sing to my fetus just in case it might help with development.

But I don’t.

He’ll learn language, and we’ll bond emotionally whether I talk to him now or not. I don’t want to get in the habit of pushing his development. It’s enough of an accomplishment that he’s gotten himself head down. I'm already proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment