Friday, February 22, 2013

Here comes our son in a little while




Our son is about to be born, probably within the hour. The most exciting thing in my life is about to happen. But it's not happening now. Right now I'm nervous and excited. I don't know what this is going to be like. Right now, I'm just sitting on the Dad bed a few feet away from my wife's bed in Labor and Delivery room 9. It's weird when things are just ordinary before something extraordinary is about to happen. At this very moment, nothing is happening, nothing at all. I'm just sitting here typing, trying to convey what's going through my head.  I'm excited to meet my son, but the getting to know him is not going to start happening until after the extraordinary event of the birth. So all that is going through my head right now is that something that I have no experience with or preparation for is about to happen, very soon; but, at the same time, nothing at all is happening right now.

"Are you asleep?" {no response} Maybe I need an epidural too.  She's very peaceful right now. Beautiful. She's about to do something amazing for the second time. Something that I will never in my life do no matter what.

It's 8:30am.

The waiting is broken up by a visit from the nurse and then by my wife's parents. Talking with them helps. They tell us how excited big sister was this morning to wake up to seeing them and finding out that her brother would be arriving today. We wrote her a letter this morning explaining that we were going to the hospital to bring her brother into the world. We also wrote in the note what her brother's name was, that she was the first to find out, and that she was allowed to tell Grammy and Golf-Cart Grandpa but no one else.

It's 9am and they started a pitocin drip because my wife has been been stuck at 8.5cm for the last 2 hours. The event that we've all been waiting for but isn't happening yet is about to happen. I'm signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment